Shang-Chi and Killmonger need a Nerf and/or Rework.

You must be logged in if you wish to post to the forum.

OPDuwo 1 year ago

tl:dr - easy access destruction cards go against what makes Marvel Snap an enjoyable game and need more obvious drawbacks

I think what sets marvel snap apart from a lot of other card games is that it's primary focus is on the player building up their own strength rather than trying to disrupt their opponent. There are a lot of ways to interact with your opponent in Snap, but they're generally pretty mild and often reward the player with added strengh rather than making the opponent's strategy more difficult to perform. I think things like Guardians of the Galaxy cards are some of the coolest card designs I've ever seen. When cards like Shang-Chi and Killmonger exist in the game, players lose the desire to innovate and  push the meta of the game. If one or the other existed by themselves in the game it wouldn't be that harsh, but when both exist, how are you supposed to feel comfortable with any deck? SC punishes players for over-investing in big heroes, whereas KM punishes players for spreading their energy on multiple smaller heroes. This makes things difficult for players who might have fewer cards unlocked as they don't even posess the tools necessary to create a solid strategy that plays around SC and KM. I have to go into every game hoping my opponent doesn't play either SC or KM because I basically auto-lose if they hit the field.

THE PROBLEMS: Killmonger as a 3/3 means you are not losing much power output in playing him. His low cost means it's very easy to hold him along with other cards until turn 6 and unleash him as part of a combo with other cards for a hard to predict last turn push which ALSO blows out certain decks since his ability is NOT limited to the location he is played at. Additionally, since he destroys cards on BOTH sides of the field, this means he can gain massive advantage off of destroying a Nova placed earlier in the game, which circumvents any "weaknesses" he might have. Shang-Chi as a 4/3 is a pretty bad energy/power ratio, but when you consider his ability to inflict devastating destruction on the opponent, that barely matters. I think the main issue with SC is that his destruction effect is limited to location, but does NOT apply to the person who played him. Additionally, I think destroying 9+ power heroes is a bit too easy. It is VERY easy for heroes to unintentionally get at or above 9 power. Destruction is an issue by itself, but ONE SIDED destruction makes for a very unstable gamestate. 

So what needs changing? Well for KM its his low cost and full-board destruction. SC I think is also a bit to easy to bring out, and a bit too leniant with what he can destroy. Balancing aside, I think the low cost of both cards means they can BOTH be played in the SAME deck without compromising the deck's ability to put out power, and that creates a negative impact on the FUN of the game since the focus is no longer on building up your own board and developing new creative strategies.

Killmonger (New): 5/5 - On Reveal: Destroy all 1-Cost cards at this location.

Shang-Chi (New) 5/3 - On Reveal: Destroy all enemy cards at this location that have 10 or more Power.

Last Edited: 1 year ago
Evert Abshire 4 months ago

As you delve deeper into the game, you'll encounter a variety of obstacles that will test your ability to react swiftly. From sharp turns to sudden drops and moving platforms, the challenges keep evolving, ensuring that every moment of gameplay is filled with excitement and anticipation. Success in Slope Game requires a combination of precise control, strategic planning, and lightning-quick reflexes.

Last Edited: 4 months ago